1.打电话的人找的是你自己
A: Is Daisy there?
Daisy 在吗?
B: This is she.
我就是。(注: 男的用"This is he." 下同,不再解释)
举一反三:
You’re speaking/talking to her.
你正在跟她说话。
This is Daisy.
我就是Daisy。
That’s me.
我就是。
2.打电话的人要找的人不在
A: May I speak to Mr. Gates?
请问Gates 先生在吗?
B: He’s not here right now.
他现在不在这里。
举一反三:
He’s out.
他出去了。
He’s in a meeting right now.
他现在正在开会。
You’ve just missed him.
你刚好错过他了。
He’s just stepped out.
他刚好出去了。
3.打电话的人要找的人不在, 问对方是否要留言
A: Can I talk to Mark?
我可以跟Mark 讲话吗?
B: He’s out on his lunch break right now. Would you like to leave a message?
他出去吃午饭了, 你要留言吗?
举一反三:
He’s not availableright now. Can I take a message?
他不在, 我可以帮你传话吗?
4.打电话的人问他要找的人何时回来
A: Do you know when he will be back?
你知道他什么时候会回来吗?
B: I’m sorry. I don’t know.
抱歉, 我不知道。
举一反三:
I have no idea.
我不知道。
He should be back in 20 minutes.
他应该二十分钟内会回来。
5.打电话的人问他要找的人在哪里
A: Do you have any idea wher he is?
你知道他在哪里吗?
B: Sorry. I don’t know.
抱歉, 我不知道。
举一反三:
He’s at work right now. Do you want his phone number?
他现在在上班。你要不要他的电话号码?
6.打电话的人要找的人不在, 愿意接受对方的留言
A: Can I leave a message?
我可以留个话?
B: Yes. Go ahead, please.
可以, 请继续。
举一反三:
Of course. Hold on for just a second so I can grab a pen and paper.
当然, 稍等一下让我拿个纸笔。
Sure, if you can excuse me for just a second. Let me find a piece of paper to write it down.
当然, 如果你可以等我一下下, 让我找张纸写下来。
7.接受对方留言时听不清楚, 希望对方重复
A: When he comes back, can you have him call me at (206) 5551212?
他回来后, 能不能让他打(206) 5551212 这个号码给我?
B: Can you repeat again, please?
能不能请你再重复一次?
举一反三:
(Say) Again, please?
再说一次好吗?
Pardon?
抱歉。请再说一次。
Come again, please?
再说一次好吗?
I’m sorry?
抱歉。请再说一次。
8.对方希望留话, 怕听错了, 不想接受对方的留言
A: May I leave a message?
我能否留个话?
B: You know what? My English is not that great, and I don’t want to miss anything. Would you mind calling back later? I’m sorry.
你知道吗? 我的英文不是非常好, 我不想听错话。你介意稍后再打来吗? 我很抱歉。
举一反三:
If you don’t mind, could you please call back and leave a message on the answering machine? My English is not very good.
如果你不介意的话, 能否请你再打一次, 然后在录音机上留言? 我的英文不是很好。
9.打电话的人要找的人是别人, 请对方稍等
A: Is Brandon there?
Brandon在吗?
B: Yes, he is. One moment, please.
他在。请稍等。
举一反三:
Hold on, please.
请稍等。
Let me see if he’s here. Hang on. O.K.?
我看看他在不在。等一下, 好吗?
10.对方打错电话
A: Can I speak to Alexander Walker?
我可以和Alexander Walker说话吗?
B: Alexander Walker? I’m sorry, but there’s nobody here by this name.
Alexander Walker?抱歉, 这里没这个人。
举一反三:
I’m sorry. I’m afraid you’ve got the wrong number.
抱歉, 恐怕你打错电话了。
What number did you dial?
你打几号?
11.跟对方要求跟(打电话的人)刚刚已经通过话的人再讲话
A: Can you put Daisy back on? I forgot to tell her something.
你能否请Daisy再来听电话呢? 我忘了跟她讲一件事。
B: Sure. I’ll go get her.
当然! 我这就去叫她。
12.电话没人接(或留言机)
A: Is he there?
他在吗?
B: No one is there.
没人在。
举一反三:
Nobody answered.
没人接。
No. I got the answering machine.
没有! 是留言机。
13.电话打不通
A: Did it go through?
(电话)打通了吗?
B: The line was busy.
电话忙线。
举一反三:
I got the busy signals.
电话忙线。
14.(因自己忙等原因)请别人去接电话
A: Paul, can you answer the phone? I’m busy.
Paul,你能不能去接电话? 我在忙。
B: Yes, dear.
是的, 亲爱的。
举一反三:
Can you get it, Paul? My hands are tied.
Paul,你能不能去接电话? 我现在不能接。
15.接到无人电话(就是打来了却不说话的那种)
A: Who called?
谁打来的?
B: No one. He hung up on me.
没人。他把电话挂了。
举一反三:
Wrong number, I guess. He hung up without saying a word.
打错了, 我想。他一句话也没说就把电话挂了。